5 Jan 2012

BRISBANE • KIM THROUGH TO SEMIS

(5 JAN.) Kim has advanced to the semifinals of the Brisbane International Open after defeating Iveta BENESOVA in straight sets, 6-3 6-2.


Kim stormed to a 5-0 lead before Benesova, who ousted US Open champion Sam Stosur in the 2nd round, launched a comeback with a run of three straight games. But it wasn't enough to keep that 1st set from the Belgian, who took it 6-3.

Benesova held her opening serve and had an early break point chance in the second set before Kim shifted up a gear and dominated the remainder of the match to earn her spot in the semis.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE MATCH:

'I’m starting to feel more confident. The little bit of the up and down maybe I had in my previous matches, especially in the one against Ana, that wasn’t there, which was good', Kim said.

'I felt like I was looking for the lines a little bit better and from the beginning of the rally I felt that I was, with the return, going for the lines and trying to be in charge of the rally from as soon as I could be. She’s so sharp that she can just hit it in the corner and it’s very tough to get out of that. So I knew that it was up to me to be the first one to do that whenever you get the chance, without rushing it.'

KIM'S PRESSER:

In the semifinals Kim will face the Slovakian Daniela HANTUCHOVA. Their match is scheduled tomorrow (Friday) at 7pm, local time on Pat Rafter arena.

'She’s a very good ball striker, she can hit a target really well and so again it’s going to be very important to look for those lines and try not to go three, four times into the same corner of the court', Kim said.
'Just try to mix it up, believe in my strengths and be dominant like I did today and we’ll see what happens.'

No comments:

Post a Comment