12 Aug 2010

CINCY • KIM DEFEATS SAFINA, REACHES 3RD ROUND!


Aug. 12  Last night at the Western and Southern Financial Group Women's Open in Cincinnati, Kim defeated Dinara Safina in a 2nd-round match that was her first since Wimbledon. Kim, the No.4 seed, had a slow start in both sets but managed to rebound to take them both, upsetting the Russian 7-5 6-2.


Awaiting Kim in the next round is American hope Christina McHale, a 3-round match that will take place on Centre Court, not before 7PM again... 

Here are Kim's and Dinara's reactions after the match:
"Obviously last year she was playing a lot better than she has been in recent months, but she's looking for a few wins in a row so she can get that confidence back," Kim said. "I knew if I could hang in there when I was down, I could do it. I try different ways to get through the matches sometimes, knowing I can rely on different things now that I'm a little bit older and have more experience."  
"Today's match wasn't bad. It was very solid. She played better in the crucial moments," Safina said. "I need to continue to try and play as many matches as I can. I will keep working hard day by day and I feel my game is getting better. Last year I had a hundred matches; now I'm still coming back, since Stuttgart." 
(Kim about her taking very little time between points) "I've been like that since I was six years old. It's one of my strengths and at the same time a weakness too, at certain times in matches. I like to get the next thing going. I'm not going to think about points I lose. I forget those and go on with the next shot."


No comments:

Post a Comment