24 May 2011

ROLAND GARROS • KIM WINS ON RETURN TO PARIS


May 24 • After a five-year absence Kim has made a winning return to the French Open as she defeated Anastasiya Yakimova 6-2 6-3 earlier today.


Kim, who had been out for two months after a series of injuries including an ankle problem sustained while dancing at her cousin's wedding, proved her fitness by dismissing the world No. 100 in 80 minutes.

Although her build-up to the clay court Grand Slam tournament was hampered by the dance incident, Kim was delighted to be back at Roland Garros and would not have missed it.

'That's one of the reasons why after Miami I took a little bit of a break, but (thought) always in mind, okay, I'm going to go and prepare myself', she told reporters. 'I'll take a couple of weeks off, 10 days off. I'll work out still and everything, kind of already with my mindset on the clay court season.'

'I felt that I was moving aggressively but didn't always, you know, go to the lines as much as I would like to', she added.

'I was trying, but I was kind of just not on target as much as I would like to be.'

In the 2nd round, Kim will face Arantxa Rus from the Netherlands. It will be the first meeting between both girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment