11 Sept 2010

US OPEN • KIM REACHES FINAL!


Sep. 11 • It took her almost 2 hours and a half, but Kim has won through to the final of the US Open 2010 after a thriller against Venus Williams. 

On a windy day, both players came out with a strong serve. Yet, in the 7th game at 3-3, Venus managed to break Kim and thanks to her very efficient serve never really let the Belgian come back in this set.

But Kim turned things around in the second set, breaking the American to take a 5-2 lead, before seeing Venus come back in the set. The set progressed in a tiebreak in which Kim quickly led 4-0 before taking it 7-2.

In the third set, Kim put Venus under pressure with her groundstrokes while the American faced some difficulty trying to hold her serve. Kim led 4-3 with a break of serve but then kind of gave Venus the next game, committing 3 double faults and a drive volley error. At 4-4 all though, Kim bounced right back and hit a fe winners to take Venus's serve and serve the match out in the next game, finishing it off with a backhand winner after a long rally.

Kim's reaction: 
"I was able to raise my level, and that's probably what I'm most pleased about, is obviously that I was able to win a close match like this, but that I was able to kind of rise to the occasion when I had to," 
"It obviously means a lot to be in the final and to give myself a chance to defend my title from last year. It's a great opportunity. But obviously beating Venus here last year and this year, it's a good feeling. I think today was probably one of the best matches that I've played throughout the tournament."

In the final, Kim will face Vera Zvonareva who defeated Caroline Wozniacki in straight sets.   Kim leads the Russian 5-2 in their head-to-head, with Zvonareva winning their last two meetings at Wimbledon this year and in Montréal a few weeks ago.

The match will be played on Arthur Ashe Stadium, at 7PM, NYC time!

No comments:

Post a Comment